- a small tree, Mespilus germanica, of the rose family, the fruit of which resembles a crab apple and is not edible until the early stages of decay.
- any of certain related trees.
- the fruit of any of these trees.
- a small Eurasian rosaceous tree, Mespilus germanica
- the fruit of this tree, which resembles the crab apple and is not edible until it has begun to decay
- any of several other rosaceous trees or their fruits
n.“small fruit-bearing tree,” mid-14c. (in reference to the fruit itself), from Old French medler, variant of mesple, from Latin mespila “fruit of the medlar,” from Greek mespilion, a foreign word of unknown origin. The Old English name was openærs, literally “open-arse.”