- disposed to or affected with melancholy; gloomy.
- of, relating to, or affected with melancholia.
- relating to or suffering from melancholy or melancholia
- a person who suffers from melancholia
adj.late 14c., from melancholy + -ic, or else from Late Latin melancholicus, from Greek melankholikos “choleric,” from melankholia “sadness” (see melancholy). As a noun, from 1580s. Earlier adjective formation was melancholian (mid-14c.), and melancholiac (mid-19c.) also was tried. adj.
- Affected with or being subject to melancholy.
- Of or relating to melancholia.