- of or relating to Melanesia, its inhabitants, or their languages.
- a member of any of the native peoples inhabiting Melanesia.
- the Austronesian languages of Melanesia, taken collectively.
- of or relating to Melanesia, its people, or their languages
- a native or inhabitant of Melanesia: generally Negroid with frizzy hair and small stature
- a group or branch of languages spoken in Melanesia, belonging to the Malayo-Polynesian family
- See also Neo-Melanesian
adj.1840, from Melanesia + -ian.