- a record of events written by a person having intimate knowledge of them and based on personal observation.
- Usually memoirs.
- an account of one’s personal life and experiences; autobiography.
- the published record of the proceedings of a group or organization, as of a learned society.
- a biography or biographical sketch.
- a biography or historical account, esp one based on personal knowledge
- an essay or monograph, as on a specialized topic
- obsolete a memorandum
n.early 15c., “written record,” from Anglo-French memorie “note, memorandum, something written to be kept in mind” (early 15c., Old French memoire), from Latin memoria (see memory). Meaning “person’s written account of his life” is from 1670s.