- lowly and sometimes degrading: menial work.
- servile; submissive: menial attitudes.
- pertaining to or suitable for domestic servants; humble: menial furnishings.
- a domestic servant.
- a servile person.
- consisting of or occupied with work requiring little skill, esp domestic duties such as cleaning
- of, involving, or befitting servants
- a domestic servant
- a servile person
adj.late 14c., “pertaining to a household,” from Anglo-French meignial, from Old French mesnie “household,” earlier mesnede, from Vulgar Latin *mansionata, from Latin mansionem “dwelling” (see mansion). Sense of “lowly, humble, suited to a servant” is recorded by 1670s. n.“domestic servant,” late 14c., meynyal; see menial (adj.).