- of or relating to the mind: mental powers; mental suffering.
- of, relating to, or affected by a disorder of the mind: a mental patient; mental illness.
- providing care for persons with disordered minds, emotions, etc.: a mental hospital.
- performed by or existing in the mind: mental arithmetic; a mental note.
- pertaining to intellectuals or intellectual activity.
- Informal. slightly daft; out of one’s mind; crazy: He’s mental.
- Informal. a person with a psychological disorder: a fascist group made up largely of mentals.
- of or relating to the chin.
- of or involving the mind or an intellectual process
- occurring only in the mindmental calculations
- affected by mental illnessa mental patient Preferred form: psychiatric
- concerned with care for persons with mental illnessa mental hospital Preferred form: psychiatric
- slang insane
- anatomy of or relating to the chinAlso: genial
adj.early 15c., “pertaining to the mind,” from Middle French mental, from Late Latin mentalis “of the mind,” from Latin mens (genitive mentis) “mind,” from PIE root *men- “to think” (cf. Sanskrit matih “thought, mind,” Gothic gamunds, Old English gemynd “memory, remembrance;” see mind (n.)). Meaning “crazy, deranged” is from 1927, probably from combinations such as mental hospital.