- the technique or science of working or heating metals so as to give them certain desired shapes or properties.
- the technique or science of making and compounding alloys.
- the technique or science of separating metals from their ores.
- the scientific study of the extraction, refining, alloying, and fabrication of metals and of their structure and properties
n.1704, from Modern Latin metallurgia, from Greek metallourgos “worker in metal,” from metallon “metal” (see metal) + ergon “work” (see urge (v.)). Related: Metallurgical; metallurgist.
- The scientific study and technology of extracting metals from ores, refining them for use, and creating alloys and useful objects from them.