noun, plural meth·od·ol·o·gies.
- a set or system of methods, principles, and rules for regulating a given discipline, as in the arts or sciences.
- the underlying principles and rules of organization of a philosophical system or inquiry procedure.
- the study of the principles underlying the organization of the various sciences and the conduct of scientific inquiry.
- Education. a branch of pedagogics dealing with analysis and evaluation of subjects to be taught and of the methods of teaching them.
noun plural -gies
- the system of methods and principles used in a particular discipline
- the branch of philosophy concerned with the science of method and procedure
n.1800, from French méthodologie or directly from Modern Latin methodologia; see method + -ology.