noun, plural mez·zo-so·pran·os, mez·zo-so·pran·i [met-soh-suh–pran-ee, –prah-nee, med-zoh-, mez-oh-] /ˈmɛt soʊ səˈpræn i, -ˈprɑ ni, ˈmɛd zoʊ-, ˈmɛz oʊ-/.
- a voice or voice part intermediate in compass between soprano and contralto.
- a person having such a voice.
- of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or suitable to a mezzo-soprano.
noun plural -nos
- a female voice intermediate between a soprano and contralto and having a range from the A below middle C to the F an eleventh above itSometimes shortened to: mezzo
- a singer with such a voice
n.1753; see mezzo + soprano. A range of the female singing voice lower than soprano and higher than alto.