- the aggregate number of miles traveled over in a given time.
- length, extent, or distance in miles.
- the number of miles or the average distance that a vehicle can travel on a specified quantity of fuel: the car gets good mileage.
- wear, use, advantage, or profit: She won’t get much more mileage out of this old coat.
- an allowance for traveling expenses at a fixed rate per mile: His mileage came to $90.
- a fixed charge per mile, as for railroad transportation.
- mileage ticket.
- a distance expressed in miles
- the total number of miles that a motor vehicle has travelled
- allowance for travelling expenses, esp as a fixed rate per mile
- the number of miles a motor vehicle will travel on one gallon of fuel
- informal use, benefit, or service provided by somethingthis scheme has a lot of mileage left
- informal grounds, substance, or weightsome mileage in the objectors’ arguments
n.1754, “fixed rate per mile,” from mile + -age. Meaning “a total number of miles” is from 1861.