- the sperm-containing secretion of the testes of fishes.
- the testes and sperm ducts when filled with this secretion.
- the testis of a fish
- the spermatozoa and seminal fluid produced by a fish
- rare the spleen of certain animals, esp fowls and pigs
- to fertilize (the roe of a female fish) with milt, esp artificially
n.Old English milte “spleen,” from Proto-Germanic *miltjo- (cf. Old Frisian milte, Middle Dutch milte, Dutch milt “spleen, milt of fish,” Old High German milzi, German milz, Old Norse milti). Meaning “fish sperm” is late 15c.
- Fish sperm, together with the milky liquid that contains them.