- marriage with only one person at a time.Compare bigamy, polygamy.
- Zoology. the practice of having only one mate.
- the practice of marrying only once during life.
- the state or practice of having only one husband or wife over a period of timeCompare bigamy, polygamy (def. 1), digamy
- zoology the practice of having only one mate
n.1610s, from French monogamie, from Late Latin monogamia, from Greek monogamia, from monogamos “marrying only once,” from monos “single, alone” (see mono-) + gamos “marriage” (see gamete). n.
- The practice or condition of being married to only one person at a time.
- The condition of having only one mate.
A form of marriage in which one man is united with one woman. (Compare polyandry and polygamy.)