- the hypothetical descent of the human race from a single pair of individuals.
- Biology. the hypothetical descent of all living things from a single cell.
- the hypothetical descent of all organisms from a single cell or organism
- asexual reproduction in animals
- the direct development of an ovum into an organism resembling the adult
- the hypothetical descent of all human beings from a single pair of ancestors
n.“theory that humankind originated from a single pair of ancestors,” 1865; see mono- + -geny. n.
- The theory that all living organisms are descended from a single cell or organism.
- The production of similar organisms in successive generations.
- Asexual reproduction, as by sporulation or parthenogenesis.
- The process of parasitizing a single host, in or on which the entire life cycle of the parasite is passed.