- a treatise on a particular subject, as a biographical study or study of the works of one artist.
- a highly detailed and thoroughly documented study or paper written about a limited area of a subject or field of inquiry: scholarly monographs on medieval pigments.
- an account of a single thing or class of things, as of a species of organism.
verb (used with object)
- to write a monograph about.
- a paper, book, or other work concerned with a single subject or aspect of a subject
- (tr) to write a monograph on
n.“treatise on a single subject,” 1821, from mono- + -graph “something written.” Earlier was monography (1773).