- amaryllis(def 2).
- any of several bulbous plants of the genus Hippeastrum, especially H. puniceum, which has large red or pink flowers and is popular as a houseplant.Compare amaryllis family.
- Also called belladonna lily, naked lady. a related plant, Amaryllis belladonna, having clusters of usually rose-colored flowers.
- any of several other similar or related plants.
- (initial capital letter) a shepherdess or country girl, especially in classical and later pastoral poetry.
- (in pastoral poetry) a name for a shepherdess or country girl
- a leafless pink orchid found in Australia and New Zealand
- Also called: belladonna lily an amaryllidaceous plant, Amaryllis belladonna, native to southern Africa and having large lily-like reddish or white flowers
- any of several related plants, esp hippeastrum
n.autumn-flowering bulbs, 1794, adopted by Linnaeus from Latin, from Greek Amaryllis, typical name of a country girl or shepherdess (in Theocritus, Virgil, Ovid, etc.).