- having no name.
- left unnamed: a certain person who shall be nameless.
- anonymous: a nameless source of information.
- incapable of being specified or described: a nameless charm.
- too shocking or vile to be specified: a nameless crime.
- having no legitimate paternal name, as a child born out of wedlock.
- unknown to fame; obscure: a nameless poet; nameless defenders of the country.
- without a name; anonymous
- incapable of being named; indescribablea nameless horror seized him
- too unpleasant or disturbing to be mentionednameless atrocities
- having no legal name; illegitimatea nameless child
adj.early 14c., “undistinguished,” from name (n.) + -less. Meaning “having no name” is early 15c.; that of “too abominable to be named” is from 1610s. Cf. Dutch naamloos, German namenlos. Related: Namelessly; namelessness.