- of or relating to a person’s birth: celebrating one’s natal day.
- presiding over or affecting a person at birth: natal influences.
- (of places) native: nostalgia for one’s natal town.
- a province in the E part of the Republic of South Africa. 35,284 sq. mi. (91,886 sq. km). Capital: Pietermaritzburg.
- a seaport in E Brazil.
- a state in E Brazil. 20,464 sq. mi. (53,000 sq. km). Capital: Natal.
- of or relating to birth
- a rare word for native natal instincts
- anatomy of or relating to the buttocks
- (nəˈtæl) a former province of E South Africa, between the Drakensberg and the Indian Ocean: set up as a republic by the Boers in 1838; became a British colony in 1843; joined South Africa in 1910; replaced by KwaZulu-Natal in 1994. Capital: Pietermaritzburg
- (Portuguese naˈtal) a port in NE Brazil, capital of Rio Grande do Norte state, near the mouth of the Potengi River. Pop: 1 049 000 (2005 est)
- a state of NE Brazil, on the Atlantic: much of it is semiarid plateau. Capital: Natal. Pop: 2 852 784 (2002). Area: 53 014 sq km (20 469 sq miles)
adj.late 14c., “of or pertaining to birthdays,” from Latin natalis “pertaining to birth or origin,” from natus, past participle of nasci “to be born” (Old Latin gnasci; see genus). adj.
- Of, relating to, or accompanying birth.
- Of or relating to the buttocks.