- a person who studies or is an expert in natural history, especially a zoologist or botanist.
- an adherent of naturalism in literature or art.
- a person who is expert or interested in botany or zoology, esp in the field
- a person who advocates or practises naturalism, esp in art or literature
n.“student of plants and animals,” c.1600, from French naturaliste, from natural (see natural (adj.)). Earlier “one who studies natural, rather than spiritual, things” (1580s).
- A person who specializes in natural history, especially in the study of plants and animals in their natural surroundings.