- and not only so but; not only that but also; indeed: many good, nay, noble qualities.
- Archaic. no (used in dissent, denial, or refusal).
- a denial or refusal.
- a negative vote or voter.
- mainly archaic, or dialect an archaic or dialect (except in voting by voice) word for no 1
- a person who votes in the negative
- a negative vote
- (sentence modifier) archaic an emphatic form of no 1
word of negation, late 12c., from a Scandinavian source, cf. Old Norse nei, compound of ne “not” (see un-) + ei “ever” (see aye (2)).