- all but; almost: nearly dead with cold.
- with close approximation: a nearly perfect likeness.
- with close agreement or resemblance: a plan nearly like our own.
- with close kinship, interest, or connection; intimately: nearly associated in business; two women nearly related.
- not quite; almost; practically
- not nearly nowhere near; not at allnot nearly enough money
- closelythe person most nearly concerned
adv.1530s, “carefully;” sense of “almost, all but” is from 1680s; see near + -ly (2).