- a bill or beak, as of a bird.
- the nose, especially of an animal.
- the tip or pointed end of anything.
- the nib of a pen.
- Obsolete. a person’s mouth.
noun archaic, or dialect
- mainly Scot and Northern English the peak of a cap
- the beak of a bird or the nose or snout of an animal
- a person’s mouth or nose
- the projecting part or end of anything
- a peak, esp in N England
- a prominent gritstone overhang
- New English Bible
- (the former) National Enterprise Board
n.“beak or bill of a bird,” Old English nebb “beak, nose; face, countenance; beak-shaped thing,” common Germanic (cf. Old Norse nef “beak, nose,” Middle Dutch nebbe “beak,” Old High German snabul, German Schnabel “beak,” Old Frisian snavel “mouth”), of uncertain origin.