- a new word, meaning, usage, or phrase.
- the introduction or use of new words or new senses of existing words.
- a new doctrine, especially a new interpretation of sacred writings.
- Psychiatry. a new word, often consisting of a combination of other words, that is understood only by the speaker: occurring most often in the speech of schizophrenics.
noun plural -gisms or -gies
- a newly coined word, or a phrase or familiar word used in a new sense
- the practice of using or introducing neologisms
- rare a tendency towards adopting new views, esp rationalist views, in matters of religion
n.“practice of innovation in language,” 1776, from French néologisme, from neo- (see neo-) + Greek logos “word” (see lecture (n.)). Meaning “new word or expression” is from 1803. Neological is attested from 1754. n.
- A meaningless word used by a psychotic.