adjective, nif·ti·er, nif·ti·est.
- attractively stylish or smart: a nifty new dress for Easter.
- very good; fine; excellent: a nifty idea.
- substantial; sizable: We sold the car for a nifty profit.
noun, plural nif·ties.
- something nifty, as a clever remark or joke.
adjective -tier or -tiest informal
- pleasing, apt, or stylish
- quick, agilehe’s nifty on his feet
“smart, stylish,” 1868, of unknown origin, perhaps theatrical slang, first attested in a poem by Bret Harte, who said it was a shortened, altered form of magnificat. Related: Niftily; niftiness.