- a person or thing that nips.
- Usually nippers. a device for nipping, as pincers or forceps.
- one of the two large claws of a crustacean.
- Metalworking. dog(def 13).
- nippers, Older Slang. handcuffs.
- a small boy.
- Chiefly British.a costermonger’s helper or assistant.
- Nautical. a short rope for seizing an anchor cable to a messenger from a capstan.
- a person or thing that nips
- the large pincer-like claw of a lobster, crab, or similar crustacean
- informal a small child
- Australian a type of small prawn used as bait
“small boy,” 1859, originally (1530s) a pickpocket who “pinched” other people’s property; see nip (v.).