- a protuberance of the mamma or breast where, in the female, the milk ducts discharge; teat.
- something resembling it, as the mouthpiece of a nursing bottle or pacifier.
- a short piece of pipe with threads on each end, used for joining valves.
- Also called: mamilla, papilla, teat the small conical projection in the centre of the areola of each breast, which in women contains the outlet of the milk ductsRelated adjective: mamillary
- something resembling a nipple in shape or function
- Also called: grease nipple a small drilled bush, usually screwed into a bearing, through which grease is introduced
- US and Canadian an informal word for dummy (def. 11)
1530s, nyppell, “teat, duct-laden extremity of a mammalian breast,” alteration of neble (1520s), probably diminutive of neb “bill, beak, snout” (see neb), hence, literally “a small projection.” In reference to an artificial device on an infant’s bottle, from 1875. A 16c.-17c. slang term for a woman’s nipples was cherrilets.
- The projection at the apex of the mammary gland, on the surface of which the lactiferous ducts open, surrounded by the circular pigmented areola.mamilla papilla mammae teat thelium
- A small projection near the center of the mammary gland. In females, the nipple contains the outlets of the milk ducts.