- no1(def 1).
- (used as an exclamation, especially of warning): Nix, the cops!
verb (used with object)
- to veto; refuse to agree to; prohibit: to nix the project.
noun, plural nix·es.
- (in Germanic folklore) a water spirit that draws its victims into its underwater home.
- another word for no 1 (def. 1)
- be careful! watch out!
- a rejection or refusal
- nothing at all
- (tr) to veto, deny, reject, or forbid (plans, suggestions, etc)
- German myth a male water sprite, usually unfriendly to humans
n.“nothing, none,” 1789, from German nix, dialectal variant of nichts “nothing,” from Middle High German nihtes, from genitive of niht, nit “nothing,” from Old High German niwiht, from ni, ne “no” (see un-) + wiht “thing, creature” (cf. naught). v.“cancel, refuse, forbid,” 1903, from nix (n.). Related: Nixed; nixing.