- capable of existing or living together in harmony: the most compatible married couple I know.
- able to exist together with something else: Prejudice is not compatible with true religion.
- consistent; congruous (often followed by with): His claims are not compatible with the facts.
- (of software) capable of being run on another computer without change.
- (of hardware) capable of being connected to another device without the use of special equipment or software.
- Electronics. (of a device, signal, etc.) capable of being used with equipment in a system without the need for special modification or conversion.
- noting a system of television in which color broadcasts can be received on ordinary sets in black and white.
- something, as a machine or piece of electronic equipment, that is designed to perform the same tasks as another, often in the same way and using virtually identical parts, programmed instructions, etc.: Software written for one computer will probably run on its close compatibles.
- (usually foll by with) able to exist together harmoniously
- (usually foll by with) consistent or congruousher deeds were not compatible with her ideology
- (of plants)
- capable of forming successful grafts
- capable of successful self-fertilizationSee self-compatible, self-incompatible
- (of pieces of machinery, computer equipment, etc) capable of being used together without special modification or adaptationa PC-compatible disc
adj.mid-15c., from Middle French compatible (15c.), from Medieval Latin compatibilis, from Late Latin compati (see compassion). Related: Compatibility. adj.
- Capable of existing or performing in harmonious or agreeable combination.
- Capable of being grafted, transfused, or transplanted from one individual to another without reaction or rejection.
- Capable of forming a chemically or biochemically stable system.