- an act of confronting.
- the state of being confronted.
- a meeting of persons face to face.
- an open conflict of opposing ideas, forces, etc.
- a bringing together of ideas, themes, etc., for comparison.
- Psychology. a technique used in group therapy, as in encounter groups, in which one is forced to recognize one’s shortcomings and their possible consequences.
- the act or an instance of confronting
- a situation of mutual hostility between two powers or nations without open warfare
- a state of conflict between two antagonistic forces, creeds, or ideas etc
n.1630s, “action of bringing two parties face to face,” from Medieval Latin confrontationem, noun of action from past participle stem of confrontare (see confront). International political sense is attested from 1963 and traces to the “Cuban missile crisis” of the previous year.