- agreeing; accordant; congruous.
- Mathematics. of or relating to two numbers related by a congruence.
- Geometry. coinciding at all points when superimposed: congruent triangles.
- agreeing; corresponding; congruous
- having identical shapes so that all parts correspondcongruent triangles Compare similar (def. 2)
- of or concerning two integers related by a congruence
adj.early 15c., “suitable, proper,” from Latin congruentem (nominative congruens) “agreeing, fit, suitable,” present participle of congruere, literally “to come together, agree, correspond with,” from com- “with” (see com-) + a lost verb *gruere, *ruere “fall, rush,” perhaps from PIE *ghrei- “to rub, grind” (see chrism). Geometry sense attested by 1706.
- Relating to geometric figures that have the same size and shape. Two triangles are congruent, for example, if their sides are of the same length and their internal angles are of the same measure.