- the act of contributing.
- something contributed.
- an article, story, drawing, etc., furnished to a magazine or other publication.
- an impost or levy.
- Insurance. the method of distributing liability, in case of loss, among several insurers whose policies attach to the same risk.
- the act of contributing
- something contributed, such as money or ideas
- an article, story, etc, contributed to a newspaper or other publication
- insurance a portion of the total liability incumbent on each of two or more companies for a risk with respect to which all of them have issued policies
- archaic a levy, esp towards the cost of a war
n.late 14c., from Old French contribution and directly from Latin contributionem (nominative contributio), noun of action from past participle stem of contribuere “to bring together, add, contribute,” from com- “together” (see com-) + tribuere “to allot, pay” (see tribute).