verb (used with object), de·plet·ed, de·plet·ing.
- to decrease seriously or exhaust the abundance or supply of: The fire had depleted the game in the forest. Extravagant spending soon depleted his funds.
- to use up (supplies, money, energy, etc); reduce or exhaust
- to empty entirely or partially
- med to empty or reduce the fluid contents of (an organ or vessel)
v.1807, back-formation from depletion. Related: Depleted; depleting. v.
- To use up something, such as a nutrient.
- To empty something out, as the body of electrolytes.