- radiating or reflecting light; shining; bright.
- lighted up or illuminated; well-lighted: the luminous ballroom.
- brilliant intellectually; enlightened or enlightening, as a writer or a writer’s works: a luminous concept; luminous prose.
- clear; readily intelligible: a concise, luminous report.
- radiating or reflecting light; shining; glowingluminous colours
- (not in technical use) exhibiting luminescenceluminous paint
- full of light; well-lit
- (of a physical quantity in photometry) evaluated according to the visual sensation produced in an observer rather than by absolute energy measurementsluminous flux; luminous intensity Compare radiant
- easily understood; lucid; clear
- enlightening or wise
adj.early 15c., “full of light,” from Latin luminosus “shining, full of light,” from lumen (genitive luminis) “light,” related to lucere “to shine” (see light (n.)). Related: Luminously. adj.
- Emitting light, especially emitting self-generated light.