- of, relating to, or maintained by a nation as an organized whole or independent political unit: national affairs.
- owned, preserved, or maintained by the federal government: a national wildlife refuge.
- peculiar or common to the whole people of a country: national customs.
- devoted to one’s own nation, its interests, etc.; patriotic: to stir up national pride.
- concerning or encompassing an entire nation: a national radio network.
- limited to one nation.
- a citizen or subject of a particular nation who is entitled to its protection: U.S. nationals living abroad.
- Often nationals. a national competition, tournament, or the like: We’re invited to Minneapolis for the nationals.
- a national company or organization.
- of, involving, or relating to a nation as a whole
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a particular nationthe national dress of Poland
- rare nationalistic or patriotic
- a citizen or subject
- a national newspaper
- the National short for the Grand National
adj.1590s, from Middle French national (from Old French nation), and also from nation + -al (1). As a noun, “citizen of a (particular) nation,” from 1887. National anthem first recorded 1819, in Shelley. Related: Nationally.