- imitating nature or the usual natural surroundings.
- pertaining to naturalists or natural history.
- pertaining to naturalism, especially in literature and art.
- of, imitating, or reproducing nature in effect or characteristics
- of or characteristic of naturalism, esp in art or literature
- of or relating to naturalists
- (of an ethical theory) permitting the inference of ethical judgments from statements of nonethical factSee Hume’s law
adj.1840, in reference to the doctrine of naturalism; from natural + -istic. From 1849 as “aiming for realism.”