- (usually initial capital letter) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Occident or its natives and inhabitants.
- (usually initial capital letter) a native or inhabitant of the Occident.
- of or relating to the Occident
- an inhabitant, esp a native, of the Occident
- a literary or formal word for western Compare oriental
adj.c.1400, from Old French occidental (14c.) and directly from Latin occidentalis “western,” from occidentem (see occident). As a capitalized noun meaning “a Western person” (opposed to Oriental) from 1857.