- of, relating to, or financially supported by one or more church parishes: parochial churches in Great Britain.
- of or relating to parochial schools or the education they provide.
- very limited or narrow in scope or outlook; provincial: parochial views; a parochial mentality.
- narrow in outlook or scope; provincial
- of or relating to a parish or parishes
adj.late 14c., “pertaining to a parish,” from Anglo-French parochiel (late 13c.), from Old French parochial, from Late Latin parochialis “of a parish” (c.600), from parochia (see parish). Figurative sense, “limited, narrow,” as if confined to a small region, is from 1856 (also see parochialism). Parochial school is attested from 1755.