- the act or fact of persisting.
- the quality of being persistent: You have persistence, I’ll say that for you.
- continued existence or occurrence: the persistence of smallpox.
- the continuance of an effect after its cause is removed.
- the quality of persisting; tenacity
- the act of persisting; continued effort or existence
- the continuance of an effect after the cause of it has stoppedpersistence of vision
n.1540s, from Middle French persistance, from persistant “lasting, enduring, permanent,” from Latin persistentem (nominative persistens), present participle of persistere (see persist). Often spelled persistance 16c. Related: Persistency. n.
- Continuance of an effect after the cause is removed.
- Continuance of a part or organ, rather than having it disappear in an early stage of development.