- of, relating to, or concerned with politics: political writers.
- of, relating to, or connected with a political party: a political campaign.
- exercising or seeking power in the governmental or public affairs of a state, municipality, etc.: a political machine; a political boss.
- of, relating to, or involving the state or its government: a political offense.
- having a definite policy or system of government: a political community.
- of or relating to citizens: political rights.
- of or relating to the state, government, the body politic, public administration, policy-making, etc
- of, involved in, or relating to government policy-making as distinguished from administration or law
- of or relating to the civil aspects of government as distinguished from the military
- of, dealing with, or relating to politicsa political person
- of, characteristic of, or relating to the parties and the partisan aspects of politics
- organized or ordered with respect to governmenta political unit
adj.1550s, “pertaining to a polity, civil affairs, or government;” from Latin politicus “of citizens or the state” (see politic (adj.)) + -al (1). Meaning “taking sides in party politics” (usually pejorative) is from 1749. Political prisoner first recorded 1860; political science is from 1779 (first attested in Hume). Political animal translates Greek politikon zoon (Aristotle, “Politics,” I.ii.9) “an animal intended to live in a city; a social animal.”