verb (used with object), re·paid, re·pay·ing.
- to pay back or refund, as money.
- to make return for: She repaid the compliment with a smile.
- to make return to in any way: We can never repay you for your help.
- to return: to repay a visit.
verb (used without object), re·paid, re·pay·ing.
- to make repayment or return.
verb -pays, -paying or -paid
- to pay back (money) to (a person); refund or reimburse
- to make a return for (something) by way of compensationto repay kindness
v.mid-15c., from Old French repaier “pay back, give in return,” from re- “back” (see re-) + payer “to pay” (see pay (v.)). Related: Repaid; repaying.