- of the nature of or serving as a type or representative specimen.
- conforming to a particular type.
- Biology. exemplifying most nearly the essential characteristics of a higher group in natural history, and forming the type: the typical genus of a family.
- characteristic or distinctive: He has the mannerisms typical of his class.
- pertaining to, of the nature of, or serving as a type or emblem; symbolic.
- being or serving as a representative example of a particular type; characteristicthe painting is a typical Rembrandt
- considered to be an example of some undesirable traitthat is typical of you!
- of or relating to a representative specimen or type
- conforming to a type
- biology having most of the characteristics of a particular taxonomic groupa typical species of a genus
adj.c.1600, “symbolic, emblematic,” from Medieval Latin typicalis “symbolic,” from Late Latin typicus “of or pertaining to a type,” from Greek typikos, from typos “impression” (see type (n.)). Sense of “characteristic” is first recorded 1850. Related: Typically.