- physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports: an athletic child.
- of, like, or befitting an athlete.
- of or relating to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.
- for athletics: an athletic field.
- Psychology. (of a physical type) having a sturdy build or well-proportioned body structure.Compare asthenic(def 2), pyknic(def 1).
- physically fit or strong; muscular or active
- of, relating to, or suitable for an athlete or for athletics
- of or relating to a person with a muscular and well-proportioned bodySee also somatotype
adj.1630s (athletical is from 1590s), “pertaining to an athlete,” from Latin athleticus, from Greek athletikos, from athletes (see athlete). Meaning “strong of body; vigorous; lusty; robust” [Johnson, who spells it athletick] is from 1650s.