- capable of being transmitted by bodily contact with an infected person or object: contagious diseases.
- carrying or spreading a contagious disease.
- tending to spread from person to person: contagious laughter.
- (of a disease) capable of being passed on by direct contact with a diseased individual or by handling clothing, etc, contaminated with the causative agentCompare infectious
- (of an organism) harbouring or spreading the causative agent of a transmissible disease
- causing or likely to cause the same reaction or emotion in several people; catching; infectiousher laughter was contagious
adj.late 14c., from Old French contagieus (Modern French contagieux), from Late Latin contagiosus, from Latin contagio (see contact (n.)). adj.
- Of or relating to contagion.
- Transmissible by direct or indirect contact; communicable.
- Capable of transmitting disease; carrying a disease.
- Capable of being transmitted by direct or indirect contact, as an infectious disease.
- Bearing contagion, as a person or animal with an infectious disease that is contagious.