- of the nature of or involving crime.
- guilty of crime.
- Law. of or relating to crime or its punishment: a criminal proceeding.
- senseless; foolish: It’s criminal to waste so much good food.
- exorbitant; grossly overpriced: They charge absolutely criminal prices.
- a person guilty or convicted of a crime.
- a person charged with and convicted of crime
- a person who commits crimes for a living
- of, involving, or guilty of crime
- (prenominal) of or relating to crime or its punishmentcriminal court; criminal lawyer
- informal senseless or deplorablea criminal waste of money
adj.early 15c., from Middle French criminel (11c.), from Latin criminalis “pertaining to crime,” from crimen (genitive criminis); see crime. Preserves the Latin -n-. Criminal law (or criminal justice) distinguished from civil in English at least since late 15c. n.1620s, from criminal (adj.).