- occluding or tending to occlude.
- Phonetics. characterized by or having occlusion.
- a stop that is unreleased, as the p-sound in stop, or deviously released, as the k-sound in acme, acne, or action, the t-sound of catnip, the g-sound of pygmy or ugly.
- (not in technical use) any stop sound.
- of or relating to the act of occlusion
- phonetics an occlusive speech sound
adj.1867, from Latin occlus-, past participle stem of occludere (see occlude) + -ive. adj.
- Occluding or tending to occlude.
- Of or being a bandage or dressing that closes a wound and keeps it from the air.