- a person appointed or elected to an office or charged with certain duties.
- of or relating to an office or position of duty, trust, or authority: official powers.
- authorized or issued authoritatively: an official report.
- holding office.
- appointed or authorized to act in a designated capacity: an official representative.
- (of an activity or event) intended for the notice of the public and performed or held on behalf of officials or of an organization; formal: the official opening of a store.
- Pharmacology. noting drugs or drug preparations that are recognized by and that conform to the standards of the United States Pharmacopeia or the National Formulary.
- not official or formal
- of or relating to an office, its administration, or its duration
- sanctioned by, recognized by, or derived from authorityan official statement
- appointed by authority, esp for some special duty
- having a formal ceremonial characteran official dinner
- a person who holds a position in an organization, government department, etc, esp a subordinate position
- of or relating to one of the two factions of the IRA and Sinn Féin, created by a split in 1969. The Official movement subsequently renounced terrorism and entered constitutional politics in the Irish Republic as the Workers’ Party (now the Democratic Left)
- a member of the Official IRA and Sinn Féin
n.early 14c., from Old French oficial “law officer; bishop’s representative” (12c.) and directly from Late Latin officialis “attendant to a magistrate, public official,” noun use of officialis (adj.) “of or belonging to duty, service, or office” (see official (adj.)). Meaning “person in charge of some public work or duty” first recorded 1550s. adj.late 14c., “performing a service; required by duty,” from Old French oficial “official; main, principal” (14c., Modern French officiel) or directly from Late Latin officialis “of or belonging to duty, service, or office,” from Latin officium (see office). Meaning “pertaining to an office or official position” is from c.1600. adj.
- Authorized by or contained in the US Pharmacopoeia or National Formulary. Used of drugs.