- full of or containing poison: poisonous air; a poisonous substance.
- harmful; destructive: poisonous to animals; poisonous rumors.
- deeply malicious; malevolent: poisonous efforts.
- not having the effects or qualities of a poison
- having the effects or qualities of a poison
- capable of killing or inflicting injury; venomous
- corruptive or malicious
adj.1570s, from poison (n.) + -ous. Failed 16c. rivals were poisonsome, poisonful, poisony. Earlier poisoned was used (late 15c.). Related: Poisonously; poisonousness. adj.
- Relating to or caused by a poison.