- that is or may be estimated by quantity.
- of or relating to the describing or measuring of quantity.
- of or relating to a metrical system, as that of classical verse, based on the alternation of long and short, rather than accented and unaccented, syllables.
- of or relating to the length of a spoken vowel or consonant.
- involving or relating to considerations of amount or sizeCompare qualitative
- capable of being measured
- prosody denoting or relating to a metrical system, such as that in Latin and Greek verse, that is based on the relative length rather than stress of syllables
adj.1580s, “having quantity,” from Medieval Latin quantitativus, from stem of Latin quantitas (see quantity). Meaning “measurable” is from 1650s. Related: Quantitatively.