- having the function or power of selecting; making a selection.
- characterized by selection, especially fastidious selection.
- of or relating to selection.
- Electricity, Radio. having good selectivity.
- (of a school, education system, etc) admitting all pupils regardless of ability; inclusive
- of or characterized by selection
- tending to choose carefully or characterized by careful choice
- electronics occurring at, operating at, or capable of separating out a particular frequency or band of frequencies
adj.1620s; see select (adj.) + -ive. Related: Selectively; selectiveness. Selective service is from 1917, American English.