- a loop with a running knot, as in a snare, lasso, or hangman’s halter, that tightens as the rope is pulled.
- a tie or bond; snare.
verb (used with object), noosed, noos·ing.
- to secure by or as by a noose.
- to make a noose with or in (a rope or the like).
- a loop in the end of a rope or cord, such as a lasso, snare, or hangman’s halter, usually tied with a slipknot
- something that restrains, binds, or traps
- put one’s head in a noose to bring about one’s own downfall
- to secure or catch in or as if in a noose
- to make a noose of or in
n.mid-15c., perhaps from Old French nos or cognate Old Provençal nous “knot,” from Latin nodus “knot” (see net (n.)). Rare before c.1600.