- conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
- serving to establish a standard.
- approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
- free from any mental disorder; sane.
- Biology, Medicine/Medical.
- free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.
- of natural occurrence.
- being at right angles, as a line; perpendicular.
- of the nature of or pertaining to a mathematical normal.
- (of an orthogonal system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the square of the absolute value of any function is 1.
- (of a topological space) having the property that corresponding to every pair of disjoint closed sets are two disjoint open sets, each containing one of the closed sets.
- (of a subgroup) having the property that the same set of elements results when all the elements of the subgroup are operated on consistently on the left and consistently on the right by any element of the group; invariant.
- (of a solution) containing one equivalent weight of the constituent in question in one liter of solution.
- pertaining to an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight unbranched carbon chain, each carbon atom of which is joined to no more than two other carbon atoms.
- of or relating to a neutral salt in which any replaceable hydroxyl groups or hydrogen atoms have been replaced by other groups or atoms, as sodium sulfate, Na2SO4.
- the average or mean: Production may fall below normal.
- the standard or type.
- a perpendicular line or plane, especially one perpendicular to a tangent line of a curve, or a tangent plane of a surface, at the point of contact.
- the portion of this perpendicular line included between its point of contact with the curve and the x-axis.
- usual; regular; common; typicalthe normal way of doing it; the normal level
- constituting a standardif we take this as normal
- being within certain limits of intelligence, educational success or ability, etc
- conforming to the conventions of one’s group
- biology med (of laboratory animals) maintained in a natural state for purposes of comparison with animals treated with drugs, etc
- chem (of a solution) containing a number of grams equal to the equivalent weight of the solute in each litre of solventSymbol: N
- chem denoting a straight-chain hydrocarbon: a normal alkane . Prefix: n-, e.g. n- octane
- geometry another word for perpendicular (def. 1)
- the usual, average, or typical state, degree, form, etc
- anything that is normal
- geometry a line or plane perpendicular to another line or plane or to the tangent of a curved line or plane at the point of contact
n.1849, from normal + -ity. Perhaps influenced by French normalité (1834). adj.c.1500, “typical, common;” 1640s, “standing at a right angle,” from Late Latin normalis “in conformity with rule, normal,” from Latin normalis “made according to a carpenter’s square,” from norma “rule, pattern,” literally “carpenter’s square” (see norm). Meaning “conforming to common standards, usual” is from 1828, but probably older than the record [Barnhart]. As a noun meaning “usual state or condition,” from 1890. Sense of “normal person or thing” is from 1894. Normal school (1834) is from French école normale (1794), a republican foundation. The city of Normal, Illinois, U.S., was named 1857 for the normal school established there. adj.
- Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type; typical.
- Functioning or occurring in a natural way; lacking observable abnormalities or deficiencies.
- Occurring naturally and not because of disease, inoculation, or any experimental treatment. Used of immunity.
- Of, relating to, or being a solution having one gram equivalent weight of solute per liter of solution.
- Of, relating to, or being an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight and unbranched chain of carbon atoms.
- Of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development.
- The usual or the expected state, form, amount, or degree.